Simply Vela Care Guides
As with all candles and wax melts, care must be taken to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable experience. We always recommend that you abide by the federal warnings/burning instructions that are listed on the sticker that is attached to each and every one of our products. Below are additional safe use instructions.
Caring for your Candles
When lighting your candle for the first time, be sure to burn until the wax melts across the entire surface, up to the sides of the container. Doing so will prevent "tunneling" (when your candle burns only down the center) and creates an even burn.
Getting a proper melt pool can take around 2-4 hours but do not burn your candles for longer than 4 hours at a time.
Keep your wick trimmed to 1/4". Occasionally, "mushrooming" at the top of the wick may occur. This is okay and simply means that there is a buildup of carbon from burning for longer periods of time or perhaps a draft. After the candle is extinguished, allow wick to harden and carefully trim to 1/4".
Our candles are made with a Premium Soy Wax Blend, and soy wax has a lower melting point, so remember to keep your candle out of direct sunlight as this may cause the candle to 'sweat'.
If this happens, remove the candle from the heat source and allow to cool. It will quickly return to its normal state.
Additionally, since soy wax has a lower melting point, it can release excess fragrance oils, known as "sweating" (this is due to extreme temperature changes due to shipping - i.e. going from hot trucks to an air-conditioned environment or going from cold trucks in the winter to heated homes). If you notice your candle "sweating" simply wipe it out with a tissue or paper towel. Sweat from soy candles does not affect the burn quality and generally the sweat drops will not re-appear after your first burn.
Light your candle in a well-ventilated room, away from drafts, or fans, which can cause sooting (black marks on the vessel), or rapid, uneven burning.
Be sure you stop burning your candle when 1/4" of wax remains at the bottom, keeping an eye on a burning candle when the wax is low.
Absolutely! The melt pool on your dough bowl may not reach the sides - this is intentional and a safety precaution.
Simply use a heat gun or blow dryer and while you're cleaning out your dough bowl, save any leftover wax and use in a tealight warmer. Voila! Two-for-One.
Ensure your wick is 1/8" and that you are lighting the wick from the base - not the top. It may take a few attempts to get the entire wick lit so don't give up!
The wick is most likely trimmed too short. There must be enough distance between the melted wax and the top of the wick for the flame to get enough oxygen to stay lit. To correct this, while the top layer of wax is still melted and wet, take a paper towel and soak up some of the wax. Try to re-light your candle. Repeat this process until your wick stays lit.
If the flame on your candle appears to be too small, extinguish the flame and trim the wick to a slightly shorter length. Don't trim it too short though (see above item). Trim little by little until you get the perfect flame.
A little but of soot is normal with any candle, however if your candle is giving off an excessive amount of black smoke, this means that your wick is too long and needs to be trimmed. Also ensure that your candle is not in a space with open windows or drafts, this will cause the flame to burn faster and cause additional sooting.
If you are sure your wick isn't too short, but it still seems to be drowning in wax, there most likely is too much charred wood at the top of the wick for it to burn hot enough. To fix this, extinguish the flame and carefully trim the charred part of the wick. Relight your candle.
Caring for your Wax Melts
You can use an electric wax warmer or a tealight warmer to melt your Simply Vela Wax Melts. The strength of the scent is dependent on the chosen scent, the type of warmer used as well as how many melts you choose to burn at one time. This is totally up to your discretion.
Place your Wax Melts in a well ventilated, melt approved melt burner and never add water. Warmers come in a variety of styles – some use tealights or low wattage bulbs. Never use heat from a stove or use any other non-certified wax melt appliance; they will get too hot.
Don’t forget to extinguish the tealight candle or turn off the electrical appliance when leaving the room – never leave them unattended or within reach of children.
When using a tealight warmer (our preferred method as there is a better fragrance release) do not allow the flame from the tealight to touch the underside of the melt bowl (part where the wax melt sits).
Place your melt burner/warmer in a safe, stable area, away from drafts and anything flammable and also well out of the reach of children and pets. Remove your desired amount of Simply Vela wax melts from the packaging and place in the top of the warmer- do not add water.
When placing your melts into your warmer, once fully melted, ensure the bowl contains a 1/2″ or more of wax. If it doesn't either add another melt or discard the used wax and start fresh with new melts.
When you are ready to switch scents, simply turn your electric warmer off or blow out the candle for your tealight warmer. Once the wax melt has cooled it will solidify again, you can either re-use the wax until the fragrance has been consumed or gently tap the sides of the burner and most times the melted wax will pop out. If not place the burner in the freezer for a short time and try again. You can discard the used wax melt or seal it in a plastic bag to re-use another time.
Next, simply take a paper towel or alcohol wipe and wipe down the interior of your warmer bowl to clean out any residual scent/coloring.
Remember, burning wax melts involves hot melted wax and possibly a candle flame (if using tealight warmers); these two combined can be dangerous, so take care and enjoy the wonderful fragrances that are available in our Simply Vela wax melts.
You can also use your Simply Vela soy wax melts without melting them by using them as natural air fresheners - place one on a small piece of baking paper or aluminum foil inside your closets, clothes drawers, or bathrooms.